Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Writing As Revelation

For many writers, the act of writing is a revelatory experience.

I'm not sure why, but practically every time I open up a new Word document and start to type, I'm surprised. I usually come to a project with a goal, a thesis, in mind. Often, I have outlined a plan. Always, the writing involves work. But once I get going, the energy begins to flow. Ideas I hadn't considered before pop into my mind, sentences seem to structure themselves, and before I know it I'm taking a break at 3 a.m.

I don't mean to imply that the words write themselves. I review, revise, and rewrite until the piece feels right and I'm at peace with it (see my last post). But that initial creative burst usually takes me places I hadn't anticipated. When the draft is done, I sometimes sit back and wonder at the journey I've been on. I'm amazed at what I've learned and astounded that I actually wrote what I see on the screen.

It's a revelation to me, if to no one else.

In fact, the experience has a lot in common with the description of the revelatory process described in scripture. To Oliver Cowdery, who had been acting as scribe while Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon by revelation and who wanted to do some translating himself, the Lord said: "I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost" (D&C 8:2).

 
      Oliver Cowdery, by Ken Corbett

Oliver learned, however, that receiving revelation did not come cheap. It was not available just for the asking. "Remember," the Lord told him, "that without faith you can do nothing; therefore ask in faith" (D&C 8:10). Later, after Oliver had failed in his attempts at translation, the Lord clarified: "You have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.

"But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right, I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right" (D&C 9:7-8).

Oliver learned another thing about revelation. While the presence of the Spirit is energizing, it is at the same time peaceful. Before he began working with Joseph on the translation, Oliver apparently had asked God if what Joseph was doing was right and true. In response, the Lord said, "Cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might know concerning the truth of these things.

"Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? what greater witness can you have than from God?" (D&C 6: 22-23).

No Latter-day Saint should be surprised that writing and revelation have so much in common. They are both creative acts, gifts bestowed by the Creator Himself.

"Seek ye earnestly the best gifts," the Lord enjoins us, "always remembering for what they are given;

"For verily I say unto you, they are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to do; that all may be benefited" (D&C 46:8-9).

No comments:

Post a Comment